Arts & Literature Courses- All you need to Know about Courses
What is Literature?
Students who take literature courses benefit from greater understanding of cultural attitudes, beliefs, and ideas. Some of the topics would even educate students about long-standing global traditions, values, and customs. It is possible to study a Bachelor of Literature in English, Hindi, and a few other languages. Students are allowed to select the language in which they would want to take the course.
Students will learn about poetry, prose, drama, philosophy, the history of a particular language, the development of literature across time, literary influences, and literary devices.
Eligibility Criteria (UG & PG) of Literature
1.The pupils must have received at least 50% on their class 12 final exam or in a comparable competitive exam.
2. Also, they ought to have completed a bachelor’s degree in the language they wish to speak.
For Post Graduates
1. This course is open to students who have completed a BA in literature.
2. They ought to have received at least 50% for it.
1.The postgraduate course’s minimum passing grade for the students should have been 50%.
2. Students who are enrolled in a PhD programme and are currently conducting research are also eligible for this admission.
Entrance Exams for Literature
For Bachelor Courses
1.The colleges for this area do not require students to take any competitive exams in order to be admitted.
2. Admission is completely determined by the students’ grade point averages from class 12.
3. However, this would be a larger challenge because pupils would now need to demonstrate proficiency in the required language in addition to performing well on the overall percentage scale in the class 12 examination.
For master course and doctorate course –
The following exams are conducted –
EFLU Entrance Exam- A university-level exam is the English and Foreign Language University Entrance Examination. It allows entry into graduate and doctoral programmes. This exam is conducted online for 2 hours. There are 100 questions of this nature.
JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination)
This is a national level entrance examination. It is 3 hours long and is conducted offline. 100-150 questions of varying natures are asked based on the course with no negative marking. This exam grants admission into the PG and doctorate courses in Literature.
Scope of Literature in India and Abroad
1. Every year, new talent enters the sphere of literature with amazing abilities in creative writing and other areas. By pursuing additional education in addition to pursuing their love, they have the opportunity to advance in this industry.
2. Students can compose plays, films, and books and get them published by reputable publishing houses. They may even pick up additional literary knowledge and develop into talented writers. Another opportunity this course offers is journalism, which involves writing blogs and reporting on the events in publications and on social media.
3. They can become teachers and professors and impart their knowledge to the young students who want to come in this field. They can act as translators between 2 or more languages; they can translate the olden literature words into the modern ones which are quite helpful for the younger generation.
4. They can write the scripts for plays and street performances, which would raise environmental awareness and convey social messages to the audience. They are able to work in the civil service as well as for government organisations. Both editors and content writers are positions that are open to them.
The lessons covered here give the pupils many excellent ideas for stories, poems, and phrases.
How to instruct kids and interpret the works of famous authors like Shakespeare and Wordsworth, among many others. The following are some of the topics covered in literature courses:
History of Literature & Culture
Arts of Radio & TV
Careers in Literature
Students who desire to develop their thoughts, comprehend how literature is written, and comprehend its numerous varieties will have excellent job opportunities after completing this course.
Through an investigation, the students will cultivate abilities including analytical thinking and decision-making. Students will be able to connect language, culture, and history as a whole. After earning a bachelor’s degree, students should continue their education to develop their abilities and look into better career options.
After earning their master’s in literature, students can pursue careers as educators, academics, writers, translators, media professionals, or government employees. Young talent is typically promoted by all employers together with their excellent creative writing skills.
- Students who desire to develop their thoughts, comprehend how literature is written, and comprehend its numerous varieties will have excellent job opportunities after completing this course.
- These tendencies would eagerly anticipate exchanging various views and getting access to all the crucial data. E-books and other digitally written literature promote reading interest and assist readers and writers become more proficient.
- Several of the best authors support this social media exchange initiative since it will encourage non-readers to read and develop a passion in reading while also significantly increasing vocabulary. The public reads the blogs that these influencers write. When these blogs are posted to social media platforms, they show in chronological order so that readers may see the most recent one first.
- The role of social media in literature is expanding quickly. Great writers now have Twitter accounts as a result of how much these have inspired them.
- They inspire young people’s minds to read. Numerous authors have written their novels and joined Twitter. For instance, Nicholas Belardes used 900 tweets to write his novel Little Places on Twitter. Blogs were also utilised by authors to communicate with their readers. Blogs have also been used as a hub for lively reader conversation.
- As a result, social media encourages reading among today’s youth and provides them with simple access to literature. E-books, often known as digital publications of genuine books, are a colloquial name for electronic books. These e-books are available on computers, cellphones, and tablets and can be viewed from anywhere. Compared to printed books, they are lighter to carry.
Job Profiles & Recruiters
After earning their degrees in literature, students can find employment in a variety of professions. Some of the positions they want to apply for are-
The majority of writers work for themselves or as independent contractors. They would be responsible for writing, editing, and proofreading their work. For their books or novels to be published, they must approach several experts, including printers, photographers, and artists. promoting and disseminating their written work. They must properly investigate the offer and discuss conditions with businesses before signing contracts. Keep in touch with publishing companies and other partners.
A translator works with academic, professional, legal, and technical texts. Letters, reports, essays, books, and other writing products fall under this category. They must read these documents and then rewrite them using editing techniques. If the clients demand it, they can use software and other applications. They keep in touch with their clients in case they need them again in the future.
Creating educational materials for the students, such as notes, tests, and assignments, is often the task of a teacher. To maintain a secure and effective environment, they must monitor the classes. They supply the books and notes for the students and make sure they have access to all lectures and presentations. They create an atmosphere that is both competitive and collaborative, allowing students to express their opinions and engage in discussions. They assign grades for the homework and exams that the pupils submit.
Assistant professors assist professors in a variety of academic and departmental responsibilities. The newly hired staff must be recruited, trained, and mentored by them. They are the ones who publish articles and conduct research when it is necessary. They have to teach and supervise the undergraduates and the graduate students. During lectures, they have to monitor the experiments being carried out and also give demonstrations whenever needed. They answer all of the queries of students via email or phone calls.
Authors of content must do research on the industry issues that have been assigned to them and create material on these themes. They can even manage the company's websites and produce blogs, articles, product descriptions, and social media posts. They can work with the marketing teams to create content about the campaigns they are managing.
Top Recruiter in Literature Sector
These people won’t be employed by firms in the traditional sense, but they will find work in places like:
The payment that an employer receives from their employer is known as a salary. It varies depending on the position within each work profile as well as the individual job profile. Depending on the work they accomplish, some people might get paid more and some people might not. Promotions would result in higher remuneration. The typical pay for the positions listed above is:
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
Rs. 2-3 lakhs p.a. (approx.)
Rs. 1-2 lakhs p.a. (approx.)
Rs. 3-4 lakhs p.a. (approx.)
Rs. 5-6 lakhs p.a. (approx.)
Required Skills for Literature
The major skill that a Literature graduate will develop is the efficiency in communicating fluently in both writing and orally.
Independent working :- The graduates will develop their independence on their own; they will not have a mentor to serve as their guide, only their subconscious thoughts.
Time Management :- They will get time management skills and learn how to finish their task prior to the deadlines. For instance, a writer would have to finish his writing before the book was scheduled to be released, or a teacher would have to finish their studies before instructing the students.
Critical reasoning and analysing :- The next step would be to learn how to write clearly and with the appropriate logic for a given screenplay. They must evaluate their writing in light of the book’s theme and conclusion to determine whether it is correct or incorrect. In writing the book, they must take great care to avoid offending anyone’s feelings.
Leading and participating in discussions – The next would be mastering the necessary reasons for writing a specific script. They must evaluate their writing to determine whether it is accurate and appropriate given the book’s theme and resolution. While writing the book, they must be extremely careful not to offend anyone.
Team working – Functioning as a team requires team management, as does occasionally communicating with everyone to earn their trust. Together, the team conducts research and compiles fresh data on the literary world that may be presented to an audience and benefit from.
Creative thinking – A graduate of Literature should have a creative mind to write scripts, books, fictions very innovatively and differently from others, so that they stand out from the crowd and can also attract the young talent.
Course Curriculum for Literature
The course will provide the students with a wide range of information about literary features from the past, the present, and the future. It focuses on a certain culture that has existed for a while and examines the changes that have occurred in it recently.
Despite the fact that every subject in this course is fairly theoretical, the students will still learn a lot. Race, history, sociology, literature, culture, religion, and philosophy are the main topics of the theory.